Who is This Post For?
- Students getting ready to declare a major, especially majors related to health, law, business, engineering, etc.
- Students knowing what they want to major in and needing to choose between a college/university vs. another, all else being equal
- Individuals getting ready to go back to school and invest a significant amount of money in their education
Why is Programmatic Accreditation Important?
- Licensing. Graduating from a program that has discipline specific accreditation can take the licensure exam. This is especially true for Law and some Health programs (physical therapy, nursing, etc.).
- Competitive advantage in the labor market. Graduates of programs that are accredited by programmatic accreditation agencies may have a competitive advantage in the labor market. For example, job ads may require that only graduates from programs accredited by a certain accreditor would be considered for the position.